Wednesday 22 July 2015

Sofa and Sideboard Re-vamp

 We are currently in the middle of extending and renovating our house. It has been a long, slow process and we still have a long, long way to go. I've had to come up with cheap ways to furnish the new space. I thought I'd share some of them with you to give you all some inspiration (even if it's not to your taste, you'll get the idea!)



SOFA MAKE-OVER

We picked up an Ikea sofa in the clearance section for £50. It didn't have a cover but I wanted to cover it with my own fabric anyway. I bought 5 metres of heavyweight velvet for the sofa and 1 metre for the cushions from The Cotton Print Factory in Glasgow. The fabric cost around £45. Now, I should have made a pattern for the sofa before I started but I was too eager to get the fabric on so I winged it! I made a load of mistakes and had to hand stitch lots of it but I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I machine stitched the back panel and base then I loosely cut fabric to the shape of the arms and machine stitched that at the bottom. I then stapled the fabric to the underside and began cutting and hand stitching the rest. It took hours and hours and I had to stop numerous times because my fingers were raw and sore. After a couple of hours each night for about a week, I finished it - yay!



 BEFORE



 AFTER




SIDEBOARD MAKE-OVER


We have had this sideboard for about 10 years. It has lasted well but with two boys in the house, it has been bumped and scratched. Also, it doesn't quite fit with the new colour scheme so I decided to paint it. I took off all the handles and gave them a spray with chrome effect spray paint. I got my husband to take it all apart so I could paint all the parts. I used a light grey on the parts that are inset and white on the rest. As I wanted this to be a cheap project, I used paint that I already had in the house so it didn't cost anything. I was pleased with how it turned out and it now fills part of the new space in the kitchen.


BEFORE

AFTER




No comments:

Post a Comment